Thanks to the fabulous Bakerella, cake pops are the cutest thing to hit the sweet scene in years. Being the sweet geek that I am, I couldn’t wait to try my hand at making some. I went out and got Bakerella’s book, Cake Pops and all of the supplies that I needed to make my cake pops. And then the hell began…
In the end, they didn’t turn out too bad. HOWEVER, there are a couple of things that I wish Bakerella would have included in the book:
1. Be prepared to spend a good 4 hours (maybe longer) on this project. No matter how hard I try, I always end up in the kitchen covered with hardened candy coating and surrounded by gooey toothpicks in the middle of the night, swearing that I am never doing this again.
2. The pops that actually “survive” will look like broken down versions of the amazing pictures that you will find in the book and online. And they look even better after they have cracked from being dropped. I don’t know why, but I always seem to drop them on the counter. Maybe it’s because I’m so freakin tired by the time I get to this point in the process.
3. It is damn near impossible to find all of the supplies in a store. Where the hell do you find letter-shaped pretzels?
4. You will find yourself praying a lot throughout this process. Praying that the ball stays on the stick. Praying that it doesn’t fall off in the coating. Praying that it doesn’t dry before you cover it in sprinkles. Praying that it doesn’t crack when the coating dries. Praying that you don’t have more balls in the fridge to be dipped so you can be done with this already!!
5. You will question your motives. Why am I really doing this? Why can’t I just put icing on the damn cake and serve it? What am I trying to prove? And why do I think that putting cake on a stick is the way to prove it?
6. Keep Calm and Cake Pop. Because no matter what you think of the end results, everyone else will LOVE them and you will be fooled into thinking that you’ve got it now. You can do this. You know what to do differently and they will not get the best of you again. Next time will be easier. And then God chuckles, because he knows he’ll be hearing from you again real soon.
Have you mastered the art of making cake pops, given up, or never been crazy enough to try?
Follow me on twitter @herlifeinspired