If you are wondering what the top tier of your wedding cake will taste like on your first anniversary, I’ll tell you. It tastes like cake that’s been sitting in the freezer for a year…stale! Besides the fact that it doesn’t taste that great, depending on the location and circumstances of the wedding, sometimes it’s just not possible to save the cake. Which was the case with the last wedding that I planned. But tossing the cake left the couple with nothing to commemorate their first wedding anniversary. So I created something special for them that could be given to any couple as a wedding and/or a first anniversary gift.
I gave them what I call a first anniversary box.
I bought a nice storage box that matched the color scheme of the wedding and filled it with items including:
- What I Love About You—A fill-in-the-blank book that prompts you to say what is in your heart, but may not always be at the tip of your tongue.
- A cd that I made with all of the special songs that they requested for the ceremony and reception.
- Crystal champagne glasses
- A bottle of Luc Belaire Rosé
- A candle
- Monogrammed fingertip towels
- Advice on how to make the marriage last
- Love letters that I had them write to each other the night before the wedding—and theee most special item in the box!
It kiiled me to wait until their anniversary to share this with you but obviously I didn’t want to ruin the surprise. The couple absolutely loved it!
So if you or someone you know is getting married this summer, consider ditching the cake and creating a first anniversary box instead. It’s much more exciting to share those treasured wedding memories than to eat a piece of stale cake.