Candy’s not the only fun treat to enjoy on Halloween! I make these adorable Fruit Jack-O-Lanterns each year and kids love them! They are always a huge hit at Journey’s parties. Follow the step-by-step directions below and be the center of attention at your Halloween bash!
What you will need:
- Oranges (one with a thicker peel, I prefer Navel)
- Assorted fruit for the filling
- Spoon (a grapefruit spoon works best if you have one)
1. Make sure your orange will stand without rolling over. If it does not, slice a bit off the bottom to create a flat bottom that will stand. Be careful not to slice too much or you will cut the orange open.
2. Cut off the top and set aside. If you are making more than one orange, try to keep each top with the right orange so that the lid fits when you put it back on.
3. If you do not have a grapefruit spoon, use a sharp knife to cut around the pulp of the orange.
Use a spoon to scoop out the flesh of the orange. Continue until the inside of the orange is empty. (You can use the flesh to make fresh orange juice if you would like.)
4. Rinse off and pat the empty orange dry.
5. Use the tip of a sharp knife to carve a face. You can be as creative as you like. If you mess up the mouth, just turn it into a big smiley face.
6. Cut, rinse and fill the empty orange with fruit. I generally use grapes, strawberries and apples. If you use apples, be sure to put them at the bottom so they don’t brown.
7. Place the lid on top.
8. Refrigerate until ready to serve.