I love zucchini but I wasn’t sure that it belonged in muffins, especially not with chocolate. But because chocolate was one of the main ingredients, I put my doubt aside and gave it a try. Wow! They are soooo yummy! Like a piece of moist chocolate heaven. Turns out that the zucchini that adds extra moistness. It absorbs the cocoa and disappears, leaving behind no zucchini taste, only chocolaty goodness. And who doesn’t love vegetables that taste like chocolate, right?
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffin Recipe
2 ¼ cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 2/3 cups sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 stick unsalted butter
1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
2 large eggs
teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
2 cups unpeeled grated zucchini (about 2 1/2 medium zucchini)
3/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 325°.
2. Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt into a medium bowl.
3.Using an electric mixer, cream sugar, butter, and oil until well blended. Add 1 egg at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add vanilla extract.
3. Add in dry ingredients in 3 parts alternating with buttermilk. Add in grated zucchini.
4. Spoon the batter into cupcake liners, filling them almost to the top. Sprinkle each muffin with chocolate chips and nuts.
5. Bake for about 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
*Note: You can also make this recipe as a bread. Here’s how you will need to modify the recipe:
- After you preheat the oven, coat a loaf pan with cooking spray, flour and set aside. Follow the directions above.
- Pour batter into pan and sprinkle with chocolate chips and nuts.
- Bake for about 55-65 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
When you try this recipe, be sure to come back and let me know how your muffins (or bread) turn out!